Monday, May 7, 2012

Parenting- Day 81

1 John 5:14-15

14 And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. 15 And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for.


ANSWERS TO PRAYER

Parenting tests this passage like few other experiences. Because we love our children, we assume we know what is best for them. We pray for God to honor our plans and are shocked when God sometimes leads us down a more difficult path, with testing and pain.

For me, the turning point came when I realized I was looking at God as a "cosmic vending machine." When I prayed, I somehow felt He was obligated to comply on my terms. Then, a friend gave me a simple guide that changed my perspective on prayer. He said, "Prayer is asking God to align you with His will, rather than asking Him to be aligned with yours."

God knows what you and your children really need. When we pray, He is at work answering those prayers, but in a way that suits Him and His work. Faith trusts the wisdom of His answer, even when His answer is different from what we expect.

To truly pray for God's will to be done, we must trust that His will is what's best for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment