Friday, April 20, 2012

Parenting- Day 64

Psalm 119:67

67 I used to wander off until you disciplined me; but now I closely follow your word.

THE VALUE OF TRIALS

This psalmist was ridiculed and persecuted for his faith by people of higher authority and position than him, but he remained strong by diligently studying God's Word. In fact, he tells us the persecution or "affliction" was necessary to keep him from straying. "It was good ... to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."

When we are successful, we tend to want to take personal credit. When we face trials, however, we tend to turn to God for answers. How could this happen? Why me? What did I do wrong? If seeking those answers causes you to turn to Bible study and prayer, you may have part of your answer. Trials teach so much better than triumphs. Perhaps that is why Paul urges us to "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds," (James 1:2).

Trials can motivate us to seek God's truth and wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment